Friday, May 18, 2012

Day 26..... the sorting begins !!!!

Good Morning on the 26th day of our countdown. I can't believe nearly a month has passed already. At this rate, the time will be here before you know it. Twelve and half months to go.
I had the day off yesterday and decided that it was time to begin the huge chore of sorting through all our belongings. It will be a big job because every cupboard and drawer in the house is filled to capacity and the excess has over flowed into the shed. I have never been a "collector" or "hoarder"... I just really believe that when you are asleep at night things multiply in the cupboards and closets. I seem to have a constantly growing amount of possessions that I don't remember acquiring. For example, why do I have a drawer full of the silly little stocking stuffers that Santa has given me over the years, that you play with for about a week after Christmas and then never touch again. And why do I have three shelves of old magazines and cookbooks that no one ever looks at. I haven't used the cookbooks in years because when I want a recipe, I either access my hand written favorites in their little binders, or I go online and find what I want. So...the sorting begins. When we leave this house in a year, some of our things will go in the 5th wheel, the rest will be stored, and the last thing I want to do, is store a bunch of stuff that I don't use now, and won't use in the future.
I started the process yesterday and actually accomplished far more than I thought I would in one short day. I started with the drawers and shelves in the spare room. This consisted of the old above mentioned books and cookbooks, boxes and containers full of photos and odds and ends, computer books , papers, music Cd's, gadgets and goodies I had forgotten I even had. By the time I was done, I had 4 boxes of paperback books, magazines, cookbooks etc that I had Don immediately put in the trunk of my car for a Goodwill drop off. ( that way, they don't wind up in the shed so that I can change my mind later and put back on the shelves). I also found things that belonged to my kids and they went in the car for afternoon delivery. I emptied out my old desk and am going to donate it to my Grandson Kyle who just moved into a new house and is lacking furniture for his bedroom. I then rearranged the bedroom and swept up all the little toys, crayons and goodies I found under the furniture.
I was a good day, very productive. There are still 6 big drawers in there to go thru, but I have made a big dent in it. It surprising how good it feels to "Lighten Up" 
I immediately drove down to Goodwill and dropped off the boxes. Just one more guarantee that I wouldn't change my mind. After the spare room is done, it is on to the hall closet. That one will be a challenge.
Now it is on to a weekend with my Grand kids from Victoria. They are arriving today to spend a few days. Can hardly wait :)
Have a great weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment